Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Ten things you could do that would make me more likely to attend your church



I am sure I am not alone in this, but here are my ten tips for pastors and ministers:

  1. Reduce the number of electric guitars - go on, you know you want to.
  2. Stop trying to get down with the kids in the ‘hood  - you are probably the same age as me.
  3. Use fewer quotes from Christian “celebrities” I have never heard of in order to justify the points in your sermon.
  4. Move your main service to a Sunday afternoon.
  5. Have less sitting in rows and more interaction, less speaking at me and more discussion with me.
  6. Stop targeting young people or vulnerable groups because they are more likely to “convert”.
  7. Stop presenting your opinion as a shared orthodoxy when you haven't asked anyone in your church what they actually think.
  8. Make your sermons shorter - if your sermon takes longer than twenty minutes then you are probably not a good enough communicator. Some books of the bible take less than twenty minutes to read. There is a reason for this.
  9. Encourage real sincerity. Don’t have a “welcomer” come up to me and say that they have been told by the pastor that they should make people feel welcome.
  10. Don’t ask me for money.