Monday, May 18, 2015

The origins of the Denis Wick cornet mouthpieces.


According to this 1970's Denis Wick leaflet the cornet mouthpieces were designed in association with Thomas Wilson, principal cornet player with the Scots Guards:



Here is a web page which tells you all about Tommy Wilson, who emigrated to Canada and also performed as a soloist with the Salvation Army:

http://londoncitadelband.on.ca/tommy_wilson_bio.htm

In the early 1970’s I was asked by Denis Wick if I would help him develop a cornet mouthpiece – and the rest, as they say, is history. It was also round about this time I was asked by Boosey & Hawkes if I would help in the development of a new cornet for them. After a lot of hard work the first large bore Sovereign cornet was born. I still play the original prototype. It’s still going strong after over 30 years. It was stamped No. 1, (which causes the customs people more than a little curiosity when London Citadel Band goes on trips).